I don’t know about you guys but lately I’ve been feeling a serious decline in energy. Maybe it’s due to the fact that the days are slowly getting shorter and the cold is slowly starting to creep in. Or maybe it’s the lack of coffee in my life, either way, I’ve been needing a serious pick me up lately. I like to make simple grab and go snacks at the beginning of each week so that I always have healthy and nutritious options on hand. This also help me not grab a bag of chips or other junk food when I’m hungry and lacking the time to make something good. This week I thought to myself what better snack to make then energy bites, these little bite sized beauties will give me just the energy I need, and most importantly this is a snack where I can incorporate some chocolatey goodness. It’s a win-win situation! These are pretty simple to make if you have all the ingredients on hand; you just dump everything into a bowl, mix all together and then form them into small bite sized balls. This recipe is pretty versatile as well, so feel free to add your creativity. Let me know what you guys think, and I hope these snacks will give you the chocolate boost of energy you need!
▪ 1/2 cup rolled oats
▪ 1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
▪ 1/3 cup ground chia seeds (can substitute whole chia seeds)
▪ 1/3 cup puffed quinoa (or other small puffed grain or rice cereal)
▪ 8 pitted dates roughly chopped
▪ 2 tbsp good cacao powder
▪ 1/2 cup almond butter
▪ 2 tbsp honey (can substitute with agave)
▪ 1tsp good vanilla extract
▪ Toast the almonds in a dry pan until golden brown and fragrant. Add the toasted almonds, oats, quinoa, chia and cacao into a bowl, stir well to combine.
▪ Add the roughly chopped dates, almond butter, honey and vanilla. Mix well until mixture is completely combined and you are able to form small balls.
▪ Form into 12 bite size balls (Optional: you could roll them in crushed almond or toasted coconut at this point). Allow them to chill in the fridge for an hour to completely set and keep its shape.
▪ Note: if the mixture is too dry add a bit more almond butter to help it come together.