Meatless Mondays is a big thing in my house. It is the one day of the week when the meat eating members of my family indulge in hearty, plant based foods. This tofu and veggie scramble is a favourite, and for good reason. It is quick, simple, packed with fresh vegetables and flavour. You definitely will not miss the eggs in this dish. I love anything that is a one pan meal, and this is definitely as simple as it gets, it is also a great way to use up any vegetables that you have kicking around in your house.
Give this great vegan meal a try on your next plant based day, or whenever you’re in the mood to try something new.
▪ 1 cup extra firm tofu, crumbled
▪ 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
▪ 1 small bell pepper, diced
▪ 1 small onion, diced
▪ 1/2 tsp turmeric
▪ 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
▪ pinch paprika
▪ salt and pepper to taste
▪ 1 tsp avocado oil (or your favourite cooking oil)
▪ Begin by dicing vegetables, I use mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, however, any vegetable works. Set vegetables aside.
▪ Roughly crumble tofu with either a fork or your hands.
▪ In a sauté pan, begin heating avocado oil. Add in vegetables and lightly sauté until soft. Add in tofu, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper.
▪ Mix thoroughly to ensure turmeric coats all of the crumbled tofu and veggies in the pan.
▪ Once the tofu is completely warmed through, add nutritional yeast and mix it into the scramble before removing from heat.
▪ Serve with toast, avocado or any other desired toppings. I use avocado and cilantro for some added freshness. Enjoy!